The internship/traineeship program in the USA is designed for university/college students, recent graduates or young professionals to participate in work-based training or internship in the United States for up to 18 months through J-1 Intern or Trainee visa categories of the U.S. government’s Exchange Visitor Program.
The primary objective of the J-1 Intern and Trainee Program is to enhance the skills and expertise of program participants in their academic or occupational fields through participation in structured and guided work-based training and internship programs. The program also seeks to improve participants’ knowledge of American techniques, methodologies, and expertise. These internship and training programs are intended increase participants’ understanding of American culture and society and to enhance Americans’ knowledge of foreign cultures and skills through an open interchange of ideas between participants and their American associates. A key goal of the Fulbright-Hays Act, which authorizes these Programs, is that participants will return to their home country and share their experiences with their countrymen at the end of the program.
Intern (Program length is up to 12 months):
You must be:
- Currently enrolled and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate granting post secondary academic institution, or
- Has graduated from such institution no more than 12 months prior to the Internship Program start date.
- Has verified English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in their internship environment.
Trainee (Program length is up to 18 months):
You must be:
- Has earned a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution outside of the United States, and has at least one year of related work experience in their occupational field acquired outside the United States, or
- Has five years work experience outside the United States in your occupational field, and who
- Has verified English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in their training environment.
- A secured internship / training position prior to arrival in the United States
- ocumentation assistance
- Interview and Visa interview coaching
- DS2019 (from our J-1 visa sponsor designated by the U.S. Department of State)
- Detailed Training Plan
- Health and Travel Insurance
- Housing Assistance upon request
- An emergency 24 hour support / assistance while in the United States
- Participants handbook that helps you prepare for the program
- One month to travel within the U.S. after the training placement has completed.
- Access to tax refund services that will assist you in filing your taxes and help you in reclaiming any portion of the taxes paid in the U.S. that are due to you.